breadcrumbs-home chemeketa-community-college-abstract-logo chemeketa-community-college-abstract-logo cross minus plus menu search oregon chemeketa-instagram chemeketa-logo-full-color envelope-o star check close home chevron-left chevron-right plus2 chevron-up chevron-down twitter facebook envelope linkedin angle-left angle-right angle-up angle-down rotate-left instagram
Jump to Header Jump to Main Navigation and Secondary Navigation Jump to main content Jump to Footer

You can succeed at Chemeketa

Resources for DACA and Undocumented Students

There are many resources to help undocumented students meet their educational goals at Chemeketa.

Ver esta página en español

Undocumented students or students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or Temporary Protection Status (TPS) or students in limbo due to immigration processes are from various parts of the world and they are not always eligible for resources or services to help meet their educational goals.

Our mission is to transform lives and strengthen communities through quality education, service, and workforce training. The Chemeketa Board of Education is committed to access, diversity, and equity in support of our students. Full statement.

  • Future Students

    Read the Frequently Asked Questions on this site

    The FAQs may answer questions you may have about going to college as an undocumented student.

    Apply for Admission

    Follow the steps to enroll based on the type of student you are such as new, returning, transferring, etc. Select the option that best matches your situation and complete the admission application. You will then receive an email from Chemeketa providing you with your student ID number, and steps to activate your account and complete the Placement Assessment.

    Apply for Financial Aid

    While you wait for the email from Chemeketa, complete the ORSAA application. Make sure to select Chemeketa Community College as your school of choice. Most students under the age of 24 must also have a parent sign the ORSAA electronically. If you are missing a signature, your application is not complete. Learn more.

    You are automatically considered for the Oregon Opportunity Grant by completing the ORSAA. If you are awarded, you will receive an email from ORSAA or OSAC between spring and summer.

    The funds will go to the Chemeketa Financial Aid Office. They will handle all of your financial aid and disburse the funds into your student account at the beginning of the term as long as you are registered for the required amount of credits determined by your grants, scholarships, and other funding you may be receiving.

    • Full-time is 12+ credits
    • 3/4 time is 9–11 credits
    • Half-time is 6–8 credits
    • Less than half is 5 or less

    After completing the ORSAA, apply for the following grants and scholarships. Check out the rest of this webpage for more information about these and other resources to pay for college.

    • Oregon Promise (high school seniors only)
    • OSAAC Scholarships
    • Chemeketa Foundation Scholarships
    • Chemeketa Scholars
    • Student Leadership
    • and others


  • Transferring to a 4-year school after Chemeketa

    Applying for Admission to a 4-year University

    Visit the schools’ websites to learn about their admission requirements, application and scholarship deadlines, and tuition equity for DACA and undocumented students. Remember to order your official transcripts from Chemeketa.

    Tuition Equity

    You may be eligible to pay in-state tuition at a public university. To apply, in addition to your admission application, complete the form Affidavit and Request for Exemption from Nonresident Tuition and Fees, available at the university’s Admissions Office. Out-of-state tuition is usually two or three times more than in-state tuition.

    Private universities do not require this form. Contact the private university of your choice to learn more.

    Oregon Transfer Schools

    Visit universities’ websites and search for undocumented, DACA, or Dreamer on their sites to learn about resources and services for undocumented students at their schools. Visit Oregon Goes to College for a complete list of Oregon community colleges and public and private universities.

    TheDream.US Scholarship for transfer students

    If you plan to transfer to the following schools, then check out scholarships.

    • Eastern Oregon University
    • Portland State University
    • Western Oregon University


Frequently Asked Questions

Please contact us if you have questions that weren't covered in this section.

Paying for College

To apply for Oregon grants and scholarships, you must complete the Oregon Student Aid Application (ORSAA) each year. The application opens on October 1. The ORSAA is an alternative to the FAFSA for Oregon undocumented students, including students who have DACA, TPS, or a valid U-Visa. It is a confidential application used to qualify students for Oregon state financial aid by the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC). Learn more about the HECC's Data and Security.

Use the FAFSA/ORSAA filter tool to determine which application to fill out and whether you are eligible to complete the ORSAA.

  • External Grants, Scholarships, and IDAs

    State Grants

    • The Oregon Promise Grant is a state grant that helps pay tuition for recent high school graduates and GED test graduates from any community college in Oregon. You must apply during your senior year or immediately after completing your GED test. Your graduation date will determine the deadline to apply for FAFSA or ORSAA and Oregon Promise, and when you need to start college to avoid losing the grant. Use the deadline tool to determine when you need to apply. 
    • Oregon Opportunity Grant is a need-based grant awarded to Oregon residents of all ages who are pursuing their first associates degree or bachelor's degree at an eligible public or private school. You only need to complete the FAFSA or ORSAA to be considered for this grant. No separate application is required.


    • OSAC Scholarships has over 600 scholarships for students living in Oregon. You can apply for multiple scholarships by filling out one application. Applications are open from Nov 1–Apr 1, 2024.
    • The Ford Family Foundation Scholarship provides up to $40,000 annually in scholarships to high school seniors, transfer students, adult learners, and parents residing in Oregon or Siskiyou County, California. Applications are open from Dec 1, 2023–Mar 1, 2024.
    • The Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber provides annual scholarship awards to qualifying applicants. Applications are open from Dec. 9–Jan 28.

    Additional resources for undocumented students on how to apply for and pay for college:

    Individual Development Account (IDA)

    An Individual Development Account (IDA) is a savings account that you can invest in your education. You can earn a 3:1 to 5:1 for your savings (i.e. Receive $3 for every $1 you save). The following websites can assist you in finding an IDA program near you.



  • Chemeketa Scholarships & Opportunities
    • Chemeketa Foundation Scholarship provides approximately $500,000 available in scholarship and assistance funds to new and returning students each year. Applications are open from Feb 1– Mar 31, 2024.
    • Chemeketa Scholars pays up to two years of tuition in any field of study, including career technical programs. Applications are open from Feb 26–Mar 8, 2024.
    • The Student Leadership Program provides students seeking a college degree with tuition waivers, valuable work experience, and the opportunity to develop strong leadership skills. You can apply at any time, but the best time to apply is mid-April, as most students in the program graduate in the spring, opening positions for the following academic year.